Can Metformin dosage be reduced from 1000 to 500 mg?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: My recent A1c was 5.3%. My P.A. recommended that I can reduce one dose, a.m. or p.m. of 1000mg of Metformin, to 500 mg in a.m. or p.m. I now take 1000mg a.m. and p.m. Can I reduce the dose? Would you recommend an a.m. or p.m. reduction.
I exercise in the a.m. three times a week. I have found that I do not feel well, weak and nauseous, after a typical hike about two miles long on easy hiking trails.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Better take same amounts of metformin to keep blood sugar stable.

Detailed Answer:

My recommendation is that you take 750mg am and 750pm. This way you will have same levels of it in your blood to keep your blood sugar stable. You can also take 500mg 3 times/day if that is easy.

Metformin does not cause low blood sugar, so those symptoms are not from it unless you take other medicines for diabetes or insulin.

Just be careful to listen to your body and do less exercising for some time then increase it gradually when your body has been adapted.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Klarida Papaqako, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T