Can Meloxicam be used for arm and shoulder pain that was not relieved with Ibuprofen?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I have hurt my arm and shoulder lifting things that I shouldn't. I have been taking ibuprofen but it is only dulling the pain. Would it be possible to take a round (several days) of meloxicam to help heal but not continue indefinitely. Would five days be enough? How long would it take before the meloxicam begins to help? I am 72 years old and the only medication I take is amlodipine 2.5. . Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Yes, if renal function is intact.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and welcome!

I appreciate your concern.

Before taking NSAIDS like Meloxicam, it should be ensured that CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease ), gastritis and CLD (Chronic Liver Disease) are ruled out.

Meloxicam would be beneficial along with Tizanidine (muscle relaxant) if the GFR is allowing NSAIDS intake.

If you have the recent GFR/ renal function tests values then you can let me know to comment further.

Hope I have answered your question.

Wishing you best of health.

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil,