Can Marijuana help cure chronic migraine?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi There, I am a migraine patient for 30 yrs have tried almost everything Botox, nerves burned 8 times in cervical area, tried 30 some meds from Neurologist had occiputal decompression the list goes on and on can Marijuana help me and why??? Thanks so much

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There have been no trials but why not give it a try?

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rather severe and difficult to manage a migraine that you have. The truth is that no one has looked at the use of marijuana in the management of a migraine. It becomes very difficult to tell whether this will be of help to you or not. However, given all you have been through and the continued pains and minimal side effects of marijuana, I will suggest that you go ahead and give it a try. Evaluate the response to the trial and make the decision to continue or not depending on your symptoms. This will not be irrational and may unlock the doors to something helpful that no one has paid attention to just yet.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist