Can Marijuana be detected on an EEG test?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am hooked to an in home EEG. I am a regular pot smoker. Dr is aware of occasional use. Can it be detected on EEG? And should I just stop?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Marijuana can lead sometimes to some changes in EEG activity. Those changes are not specific though, they do not tell the examiner that the cause was marijuana. What can be seen is simply that the rhythm may be slowed down when there is a state of relaxation, or on the contrary speed up when there are visual hallucinations or tripping. It cannot be determined that those changes come from pot though (if there are any changes at all that is).

As for whether you should stop it, yes it would be advisable to stop it so that it doesn't confound the evaluation.

I hope to have been of help.