Can MS be detected by a spinal MRI?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Can ms be seen in spinal mri imaging prior to showing up in csf. I have a normal mri brain and spinal tap was negative for ms, however i have ms symltoms. I was told hat i still needed total spine mri - is this true or inaccurate. I am bery confused and already have tests scheduled for next week.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MS could affect spinal cord neurons too.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that damages myelin sheath of neurons in the central nervous system.

It is possible for MS to affect spinal neurons too, and is part of the examination protocol to assess this possibility by imaging studies ( MRI ).

It is very unlikely for the MRI of the spinal cord to expose MS related damages, since spinal tap resulted negative, but can't be excluded 100% as a possibility, so, I agree with you Doctor's opinion about having done spinal MRI too, because of the strong suggestion by clinical findings.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
I agree its rare, but i seem to always present with rare finding so i will proceed with the studies for piece of mind at that! Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good to see you agree.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Please let me know the results.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 25 hours later
Please read the upload. Whobshoukd be at the center of my care- speciality wise?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.

I read the report you uploaded carefully.

Anti NMDA antibodies are found positive in encephalitis ( or brain tissue infection usually by a virus ), in certain tumors such ovaries teratoma, or there could not be found a cause at all.

When anti NMDA antibodies are found positive, brain damage is a possibility, so, performing PET scan could give more information about chemical and metabolic brain function.

Low magnesium, potassium and zinc should be corrected by taking supplements.

In my opinion, center of your care should be evaluation of brain function with PET scan, assessing further paraneoplastic syndrome ( tumoral markers ), and if it is possible, doing a sleep study.

These issues should be discussed with your treating Doctor.

Hope I helped you.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar