Can Lyme disease cause inflammation in the eye?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: To any doctor who can answer my question:
I came down with Lyme Disease in early XXXXXXX and began treatments when it was diagnosed three weeks or so later. The only symptom remaining is double vision which one doctor said would start ameliorating by late September or so.
Today while walking, I realized I was seeing with true binocular vision at distances of fifty yards or more. At least, I think so. In your opinion, was this wish fulfillment or the beginning of improvement?
Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
grade of improvement to be confirmed after complete eye testing

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
The sudden return of vision in your case seems to be improvement of ophthalmic side effects of of Lyme disease. It's a good sign. Lyme disease can cause inflammation of eye at different levels. ( conjunctiva/ cornea/ optic nerve ).Inflammation of eye takes long time to resolve..& return of vision is a good sign suggesting receding inflammation of eye.
As you had good vision from a considerable distance.. it seems to be a complete improvement.but.. weather it's complete recovery or beginning of recovery can be decided only after complete eye check up.Consult an Ophthalmologist.
I would suggest a through check up of eye to judge grade of inflammation control & take needful treatment as per need.
There can be involvement of Heart, liver, eye, neurological problems as a side effect of the condition... which can reveal after few months to year of infection As you had eye inflammation.. it's better to be on guard & get a regular health check up for exclusion/ early detection of these.
It is worth to check with your treating physician about complete removal of the disease from your system. A physical examination & few pathological tests like Elisa test & Western blot test would exclude presence of the pathogens from your system.
I hope that answers your query. If you have any follow up query.. I would be happy to help.
Please grade the answer before you close the query.
Thanks.