Can Lupron injection cause mental confusion and fatigue?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in Cancer
Question: My husband has PC and has had his third Lupron injection. He is suffering from mental confusion and fatigue.His oncologist says he never heard of this and suggested we have his electrolytes checked. All his blood work was normal. Is his oncologist not on top of it? He said perhaps he should discontinue the Lupron. I don’t want to lose my husband! Are you familiar with these symptoms, and, if so, what can we do?

Answered by Dr. Monish De 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zoladex injection.

Detailed Answer:

Your husband is having mental confusion and tiredness beacues of lupron injection.

It is a common side effect of the drug.

Lupron is used to treat advanced prostate cancer in men.

It is not a cure.

Most types of prostate cancer need the male hormone testosterone to grow and spread.

Lupron works by reducing the amount of testosterone that the body makes.

Since lupron injections is causing side effects such as mental confusion and tiredness and his blood electrolytes are normal i would advise him to stop lupron injection and substitute it with goserelin injection which is available in the market in the name of zoladex.

Zoladex does not cause mental confusion and tiredness and has the same properties of lupron injection.

You can consult your local doctor for it.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Monish De, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T