Can Lucozade affect ESG test results?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi there
I had an ESG recently which showed I had AF. Before the ESG I took Lucozade. Would that have an affect on the readings?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that Lucozade may have some effects on heart rhythm considering it contains an amount of caffeine.

Nevertheless, its potential adverse effect could be supposed in case a large consumed quantity of Lucosade.

Lucozade may be considered as a triggering factor in certain susceptible individuals.

Coming to this point, I would recommend discussing with your doctor for a careful medical exam including a careful physical exam and additional medical tests:

- complete blood count,
- cardiac ultrasound,
- thyroid hormones level,
- blood electrolytes level,
- liver and renal function tests,
- fasting blood glucose level

In addition, it would be wise to avoid potential triggering factors such as caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, control your blood pressure values and follow a healthy diet and life-style.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri