• question-icon

Can Losartan be taken instead of Diltiazem?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I usually take diltiazem 180 in the evening and losartan in the morning. I am out of diltiazem. Can I take losartan am and pm until I can get diltiazem?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the main action of Diltiazem is the prevention of cardiac arrhythmia and lower the heart rate. But, it also lowers your blood pressure.

While the main action of Losartan is lowering blood pressure. It has no effects on the heart rhythm.

That is why it is not the same thing to take Losartan instead of Diltiazem.

But, this can help maintain a normal blood pressure.

Anyway, if there is nothing you can do today, I would recommend taking Losartan instead of Diltiazem.

But, I recommend consulting with your doctor as soon as possible in order to get Diltiazem again.

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist