• question-icon

Can Lisinopril cause low blood pressure?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi! I went into a Doctor to have him refer me to a orthopedic surgeon and he took my blood pressure and it
was 96/58. I was sent for blood work and it came back with 2 red flags. The Doctor thought that I possibly
have Rhumatoid Arthritis and acute anemia. Is it possible that my condition is caused by Lisinipril? I had been on Hydrachlorathiaside and I was a caregiver for my Dad (he passed away from hardening of the arteries) and when he got really bad my blood pressure spiked. My Dr. changed my blood pressure medicine to Lisinipril. (Dad passed 2 years ago) I was still on the Lisinopril until the other day and the Doctor took me off of it. I had been very dizzy. I hope that you can help me. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your actual blood pressure values are a little low.

These low blood pressure values could be related to lisinopril and anemia.

Dizziness is also caused by low blood pressure values and anemia.

For this reason,I agree with your doctor on the recommendation of stopping lisinopril.

This will help improve your situation.

Taking plenty of fluids and increasing salt intake will also help.

I would also recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible causes of anemia:

- iron plasma levels
- vitamin B12 levels
- folic acid levels
- PCR for inflammation.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist