Can Lisinopril cause itching near the head and ears?

Question
I experienced itching especially of ears and head for two nights. I stopped my 2.5 mg of Lisinopril and it stopped the next night. I will not take it now; a friend had a similar experience. I also take pravastatin and Mirapex at the same time but no problem with them. I had a episode of hives a month ago and related it to outdated vitamins(multi) magnesium 200 mg or jardiance 10 mg which I was on for three weeks prior. I stopped all of the latter and have no further problems. My arthritis improved greatly overnight stopping the Lisinopril. YYYY@YYYY
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be due to Lisinopril

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, Yes it can be due to Lisinopril as ACE inhibitors the group of drugs it belongs to are notorious to trigger allergic reactions and it might be the reason of your symptoms.

You may need to use safer alternative like calcium channel blockers for blood pressure if that was reason of using it.

No long term management of that previous episode is needed since it's over but kindly avoid repeated exposure as it can trigger life threatening reactions like angioedema etc.

Using anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine for few days if any symptoms have remained can be possible. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope to this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Can Lisinopril cause itching near the head and ears? 16 hours later
Lisinopril dose of 2.5 mg was used to protect kidneys not for blood pressure as I have diabetes. what can be alternative drug

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternate drugs can be losartan or ARB

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Other suitable alternative can be losartan or other angiotensin receptor blockers as they have decreased incidence of allergic reactions compared to ACE Inhibitors and can help with kidneys protection alongwith a tighter sugars control. Regards