Can Lisinopril be taken after taking an electrolyte drink containing potassium?

Question
Yes please. My husband drinks an electrolyte drink daily for muscle cramps, it contains 408 mg of Potassium
Is it safe to take lisinipril at bedtime, after drinking a quart of that electrolyte during the day?

Tue, 29 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would need to frequently monitor potassium levels

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lisinopril is in the family of drugs called ACE inhibitors. These medications cause an increase in potassium levels

Even though he uses the supplement during the day, there is a chance of the potassium levels rising higher than they should. He would need to have his potassium levels monitored by his doctor regularly to make sure that they do not become significantly elevated.

I agree that it is important for his blood pressure to be controlled since uncontrolled blood pressure has consequences but if his potassium levels rise, then his doctor may consider a different medication.
There are other options available.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions