• question-icon

Can Lisinopril and Buspirone be taken together?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, I'm a 32 year old black female from the US. I've been taking lisinopril/hctz 10/12.5 for exactly one year now. It works, with minimum side effects, mainly the coughing. Back in January of 2017 I was prescribed a 10mg dose (one half, two times daily) of Buspirone by another doctor for anxiety, but I told her I took the lisinopril and she said it would be fine. Now, I didn't take the Buspirone until today XXXXXXX 9, 2017 because I was having some serious anxiety before work and I knew I wouldn't be able to function well, the way I felt. My question is, is this a safe mix? I've read several things on the internet that state some pretty serious side effects like Type 2 diabetes mellitus, tachycardia, and several others. Should I not be mixing these? Should I call my doctor and ask her to prescribe me something else for my anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there is no interaction between buspirone and lisionopril/hctz.

So, it is safe to take them both concomitantly.

You should know that Dr. Internet is not the best doctor, because the information is very wide and non-specific.

But, as these drugs do not interact, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist