Can Liothyronine be taken in place of Synthroid?
Authoritative guidelines from expert thyroid organizations have recommended that there is no need to check T3 in routine management of 'hypothyroidism' ie an under active thyroid condition which is being treated with brand or generic levo thyroxine.
Blood tests for TSH and Free T4 generally suffice.The results of these two tests give a good idea as to whether or not the dose of levo thyroxine is appropriate.
Most endocrinologists worldwide also do not use liothyronine.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I order the following tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:
Anti TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Taking cerazette, thyroxine and liothyronine
- Liothyronine side effects
- Liothyronine weight loss dosage
- Thyroid cancer and liothyronine sod and synthroid
- Can siphene be taken with synthroid
- Can liothyronine pills be split
- Cytomel and synthroid taken together
- Liothyronine and cerazette
- Liothyronine weight gain
- Liothyronine and levothyroxine