Can Levoday and Bricarex be taken when suffering from diabetic nephropathy?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Earlier tonsilitis used to be treated successfully with Levoday (course of 5 capsules) and Bricarex syrup. Recently, I have been diagnosed with diabetic nephropathy. Is it still safe for me to take Levoday and Bricarex as earlier?

I am 65 years old, male.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may take

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Though you have developed diabetic nephropathy levoday and bicarex may be taken safely for your tonsillitis for 5 days course. It also depends upon your urea and creatinine levels.

Both these drugs are not having much effect and are not a known nephrotoxic. Nor these drugs interact with antidiabetic drugs.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 3 hours later
Can you please tell me the implications of this opinion below:

Opthalmologist' Opinion: Grade III Hypertensive Retinopathy with Moderate Non-Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy changes seen.s
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Retina changes due to Hypertension and Diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

The opinion implies that you are suffering from retinopathy(changes in retina due to persistent or acute damage) both due to hypertension and diabetes.

Hypertensive retinopathy is more severe compared to diabetic one which is non proliferative in you.

With these changes you are more prone for developing coronary heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, stroke and atery occlusion leading to selective or complete blindness.

Its not that these will occur 100%. But risk again increases if BP and Blood sugar is not under control.

To prevent these BP, blood sugar and cholesterol needs to me maintained in normal range.

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon