Can Letrozole and Progynova contribute to delayed ovulation and menstruation?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have regular periods every time between 26 to 28.. I have done follicular study 2 times, both times show I am ovulating.
My doctor said my reports are normal. I am trying to conceive more than 3 years.never taken any medications to conceive in past 3 years. Because I thought my husband may have problem.
First time this month I went to another doctor suggested me to take letrozol from day 3 to 7 morng and eveng
Progynava 2mg from day 7 to 11 mrng,afternoon and evening.
She said to take follicular study this month
Suddenly , my reports shows both sides have small follicles and I am not ovulating
And today I am day 34 still no period..
Never happened like this before..
Due to medications did I stop ovulation and delay period???why sudden changee??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be hormonal disturbance.

Detailed Answer:

The medicine that was given to you was to induce an ovulation. The multiple follicles suggest polycystic ovaries. This is not related to medicines that you took.

May be that you developed this problem in last few months. This needs further evaluation to find the cause.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
it Means my period was late because of no ovulation?

If periods comes every month properly with out any delay then ovulation possible every month? Or if periods comes proper time and no ovulation is possible?

I have done hormones test this month on day 2
fsh 4.39
Lh 3.06

fsh 4.39
Lh 3.06
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Delay is due to formation of cyst.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

The delay in periods is due to no ovulation and formation of a cyst. Even if your periods are regular it does not guarantee that ovulation has happened in every cycle.

In a normal healthy female there are 13 cycles in one year and ovulation happens 10-12 times in a year.

The hormone tests on day 2 are normal.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj