• question-icon

Can Lamisil be discontinued abruptly?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: Some medications require tapering off of rather than stopping abruptly. Is it okay so suddenly stop Lamisil 250 mg.? My GP said I could stop taking it now, but I forgot to ask if I needed to taper off and I cannot reach him this morning to ask.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be stopped abruptly

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

This is not one of the medications that requires tapering. Tapering is used for medications that can cause dependence or tolerance. With those medications withdrawal symptoms can occur if they are stopped too suddenly.

This does not apply to lamisil. You can stop it abruptly. There are no withdrawal symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James