Can L-tryptophan dietary supplements be taken for depression?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, I was considering taking l-tryptophan to help me with my depression. I’m curious how long it will be for me to start noticing its benefits, how long the withdrawals will be if I quit taking it.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take it as a diet suppliment.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Patient,

Welcome and thank you for posting your question.

If you are diagnosed already with Depression by a neurologist, then you cannot switch or change your prescripted therapy.

If you feel a little depressed and tired, but are not diagnosed with Depression as a major disease, then I would kindly advice that you take Triptophan-diet-supplements without prescription. Increasing the level of serotonin in your brain that will help you to feel better, especially if you combine it with a good daily physical activity, or long walks.
The triptophane suppliments can make a change from the first day, and then if you want to stop them you can do lowering the dose for some days and then just stopping. Make sure you have a good physical activity, because that is proved to help a lot.

I would kindly advice you to keep an eye on nausea, vomiting. If you experience those simptoms during the use of triptophan than you should stop taking them.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Best Regards,
Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T