Can L-lysine be given for cold sores in a child?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 12 year old Boy has cold sores but the Doctor, she would not give him a blood test to find out if it is Herpes simplex 1 or 2 and the doctor said, they were contagious The Doctor said if he took L-Lyine every day for the rest of his life he would not ever have another brake out again, but she did not know what strength he should take, at Walmart they have 1000 MG and 500 MG he only weights 83 pounds, But I am afraid of long term Medicines. What are the side affects Of L-Lyine taken every day for the rest of your life? and what strength should he take?or is there another prescription drug that is more effective? or is there a cure? I am afraid of Medicines they damage your Liver and Kidneys. What does L-Lyine do to a 80 pound Boy after taking it long term ?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
L-lysine can be used safe in adults and children of pre-puberty stage...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I understand your worries, but do not get more worried than needed.

L-lysine at 1000 mg can be used safely in adults and children of pre-puberty stage as your child of 12 years old.

This is a medicine used to prevent the virus from growing. It can be used orally or locally at the site of cold sore.

It can be used for up to 1 year to prevent the recurrence of herpes infection.

If I was your caring doctor, would recommend to strengthen his immunity and prevent other episodes rather than prevention with L-lysine during the whole year.

You can use now as prescribed until he will get better.

Then, start preventive measures to ensure no other episode will appear.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can be of further help.
Dr.Albana