Can L-lysine be given for cold sores in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 12 year old Boy has cold sores but the Doctor, she would not give him a blood test to find out if it is Herpes simplex 1 or 2 and the doctor said, they were contagious The Doctor said if he took L-Lyine every day for the rest of his life he would not ever have another brake out again, but she did not know what strength he should take, at Walmart they have 1000 MG and 500 MG he only weights 83 pounds, But I am afraid of long term Medicines. What are the side affects Of L-Lyine taken every day for the rest of your life? and what strength should he take?or is there another prescription drug that is more effective? or is there a cure? I am afraid of Medicines they damage your Liver and Kidneys. What does L-Lyine do to a 80 pound Boy after taking it long term ?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Only adult usage has been studied as safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi...i understand your concern.

Lysine is found to be safe (adult studies) for most people when taken by mouth at recommended doses for up to one year, or when applied to the skin short-term. It may cause side effects such as stomach pain and diarrhea.

Taking calcium along with lysine can increase the amount of calcium in the body. Avoid taking large amounts of calcium and lysine at the same time.

For cold sores it can be used at1000 mg daily for 12 months and 1000 mg three times daily for 6 months. But this is for adults.

As there are no pediatric safety and efficacy studies available as of now, I am not in a position to suggest it to a 12 year old.

But as such it is only an amino acid and is only a supplement. So largely it should not be causing any harm. But off label use has been reported to be safe. Children can take 10 mg per pound of body weight each day. Multiply 10 mg by your child's weight in pounds to get the correct dose. So it will be around 830mg per day for a year.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
What other Prescription Medication do they have for Herpes simplex 1 is there a cure for this Herpes simplex 1 and what kind of Doctor would I go to for this like of illness
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SUGGESTIONS ON CILD SORES

Detailed Answer:
Hi....Antiviral creams such as aciclovir or penciclovir (also known as Fenistil) may speed up the healing time of a recurrent cold sore infection if used correctly.

I suggest you consult a pediatric dermatologist regarding this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 43 minutes later
What other Prescription Medication do they have for Herpes simplex 1 is there a cure for this Herpes simplex 1 and what kind of Doctor would I take my 12 year old son to go to for this kind of illness

why is it called L-Lysine is there a difference between L-Lysine and just plain Lysine
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on cold sore treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

1. I had already suggested the use of Acyclovir or Penciclovir, as the other alternative drugs in my last reply.

2. You need to see a Dermatologist regarding this. This also I had suggested in my last reply.

3. It is called L lysine because it is the levo isomer of the amino acid. Usually levo isomers of any drug is better absorbed and action would be better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad