Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: I am 73, F, and have suffered from depression for at least the last 50 years, as did my mother and several cousins. I have taken many, many anti-depression drugs...from Zoloft to Effexnor and Prozac and others I don't remember. I take Oxycontin (15 mg extended relief) every AM for back pain due to an injury I received almost 20 years ago. The depth of my depression can be frightening for both me and my family. I wonder if Ketamine (which I just heard of) might help. My life is basically stress-free in all other ways.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not recommend Ketamine for treatment of depression.

Detailed Answer:

Ketamine is an anesthetic drug that is used in surgical procedures.

I strongly don't recommend it for the back pain.
I also do not recommend it for treating depression because of its side effects. Actually, it is not approved for treating depression.

There are many side effects of Ketamine and one of them is an addiction. Other side effects can be psychosis, amnesia etc.
I recommend to see your psychiatrist for a better option.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T