Can Keppra be discontinued cold turkey?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: can you stop taking keppra abruptly? have some users of keppra been known to exhibit uncontrollable screaming and confusion? originally prescribed for possible seizure. patient has alzheimers. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Levetiracetam (keppra) dose should be tapered over time and should not be stopped abruptly.

Yes, Levetiracetam (keppra) is associated with panic attacks, anxiety and hallucinations in a small subset of patients. Generally, it's a safe drug and is well tolerated.

wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 11 hours later
Thank you so much for your advice, Doctor! We appreciated your advice and it has been confirmed by the neurologist, as well. We intend to further this discussion with her physician. Thanks again and Stay well
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.