Can Kaopectate cause diarrhea?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 6 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Saturday I took pepto bismol and had dark stools after a lot of tummy ache. I then started taking Kaopectate and due to the fact that I had so much diarrhea on Saturday, I didn't go to the bathroom until this afternoon and again my stools are dark. I had been taking antibiotic for 9 days and had a lot of stomach ache. suppose to take an epedural on my lower spine tomorrow and don't know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic related diarrhea

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry you have been so sick. Antibiotics can definitely cause diarrhea and gastrointestinal upsets because they not only kill the bad bacteria, but kill the good bacteria in your intestinal tract.

I don't know why you were taking the Cephalexin, but it is a broad spectrum antibiotic so it is the likely cause of your digestive problem.

The bismuth in Pepto Bismol can make stools dark (grey or black) and that can last for around 72 hours, depending on your digestive tract. If the stool looks black and tarry though, that can be blood from higher in the digestive tract that was changed to a dark color by stomach acid. If it is not tarry though, then I would attribute the color to the Pepto Bismol.

I strongly advise taking a probiotic to try to recolonize your intestines with "good" bacteria. A probiotic should be taken for several weeks at minimum.

When you say you have a stomach ache, do you mean in your actual stomach (upper left abdomen or below the breast bone) or is your pain in your abdomen in general (which could be the large intestines)? If it is actually in the stomach, then consider taking an over the counter acid reducer - Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day or 300 mg at bedtime.

If possible, post pone your epidural and whatever procedure/surgery the epidural is for until you are feeling better. I recommend calling the doctor on call for the medical group or clinic that will be doing the epidural and letting them know what is going on - call them tonight.

I am assuming you are now done with your course of Cephalexin. If the nausea does not start to improve, then do go in to be seen for this. In the meantime eat small amounts at a time, and eat foods that are less likely to cause diarrhea such as apple sauce (not raw apples), rice, toast, bland soups. You can also get coconut water (NOT coconut milk) at the grocery store or Walgreens which is a good oral rehydration fluid if any further diarrhea occurs.

If you are not getting better and are having further abdominal pain, diarrhea, or start to vomit, then do go in to be seen. If you vomit something that looks like coffee grounds, that can mean stomach bleeding, so go in to the emergency room immediately if that occurs.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.