Can Ibuprofen be taken in place of Meloxicam while suffering from hip pain?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have discomfort in my left hip/glute. The discomfort sometimes goes down my leg with tingling and slight numbness. A massage and stretches over 3-4 days helped. I have also been taking meloxicam for 4 days. After a 30 minute walk today the discomfort flared up. Should I continue the meloxicam? Should I take ibuprofen instead? We are leaving Tuesday for a vacation that will include some easy to moderate hiking. Do I have to limit my activity?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go with Ibuprofen. Limit your activity till you feel better.

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. The nature of your pain seems to suggest a strained muscle that requires rest to allow for healing. Meloxicam is not friendly to the stomach. While Ibuprofen is not very friendly as well, it is less aggressive than meloxicam and I will encourage that you switch to it. Endeavor to eat well while eon this drug. For now, limiting the level of physical exercise is highly recommended.

In all, switch suggested and limiting exercise ether way to go.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
Thank you. Should i take the ibuprofen every 4 hours? Will applying ice to the hip help at this point?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take 400mg of Ibuprofen every 6hours!

Detailed Answer:

I will rather go with 6hours. I will not want to see you consuming so much of this drug. Thats’s why am keeping the dosage very small. If it doesn’t control the pain, you may go up to 800mg every 8hours.

I wish you well.