Can IV antibiotic be administered while suffering from respiratory distress?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: If a p.t. is a DNR w special tx,
They are desatu ratio w respiratory distress 24-30 respirations but i place on o2 and the o2 increases from 82-87 up to 94 but cont w respiratory distress temp 99.4. If i could stable o2 sat and because she repeatedly hospitalized for infection. Could I have called md and made suggest in house iv atb therapy w cxr cbc u/a and discuss to make full DNR instead of sending out for the 2nd time w in a month
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
Keeping the DNR status and the patient's ageing mind ,I would definitely recommend you to go ahead with your desicion .
IV antibiotic could definitely be given at home and since she is on oxygen therapy already it is good as you could maintain good oxygen saturation.
The tachypnoea could be due to fever also please give the patient Tab Calpol and do cold sponges .It would help a great deal.
Meanwhile if you could ,ask a MD to see her at home and start off with IV antibiotic.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D