Can IUD cause stomachache, abdominal cramps and difficulty eating?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have been experiencing upper stomach pain and my belly seems inflamed ever since I got an Paraguard IUD 2 days ago. I am also experiencing cramping in lower abdomen when I sit (which is to be expected after the IUD) but the pain when I stand and lay down immediately shift to my upper stomach...not really able to eat from the pain in the upper stomach. Is this an allergic reaction or sign of a perforation of abdominal wall from IUD?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to displaced IUD

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Upper abdominal pain is not normal after an IUD insertion.
It can be due to perforation of the uterus by the IUD.
It is better to get properly examined and investigated including a X Ray and ultrasound to detect the position of the IUD.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana