question-icon

Can I use Viagra in place of Sildenafil for ED?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019
Question: I am 80 Years old. I have ED for last 30 years. My Doctor put me on SILDENAFIL 20 mg x5 pills XXXXXXX per day. Works some what but full erection not working. Can I use Viagra 200 mg in place of Sildenafil 100 mg ?
Answered by Dr. Dr. P. T. Patil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Maximum permissible dose of Sildenafil is 100 mg as a single dose.

Detailed Answer:

You have been facing the problem of Erectile Dysfunction (ED) for 30 years and have been taking 100 mg of Sildenafil daily.

The erection issue that you are facing now is age related and due to multiple factors like:
1) Reduced blood flow to erectile tissue due to reduced blood flow caused by age related atherosclerotic changes in arteries .
2) Senile changes in nerves (Neuritis)
3) Associated health problems like diabetes, hypertension etc.

Viagra is a trade name of Sildenafil manufactured and marketed by Pfizer laboratory. Maximum permissible dose of Sildenafil is 100mg once daily.

Consult your urologist to find out other modality like intracavernosal injection of trimetor or caverject to achieve satisfactory erection.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. P. T. Patil
Urologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist