Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Can I use Fluclox to treat root canal infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have an infection in a root canal in my front bottom tooth. I have been told by the dentist to get antibiotics for it in the first instance. I still have a complete course of Flucloxac at home. Can I use this or is this not specific for this type of infection?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your concerns.

The medication which you have at home does satisfy what I would consider an adequate prescription to cover a typical dental infection.

I would take this medication as prescribed for the full course. It is certainly necessary also to maintain good dental hygiene while taking this antibiotic. You might consider doing some warm saltwater gargles ,use orajel to releive the pain or using some good anti-septic mouthwash 3 to 4 times per day to maintain good dental hygiene.

If the symptoms of infection do not significantly improve within 72 hours I would recommend that you consider obtaining an alternative antibiotic. Certainly at some point you will need to see a dentist for examination and possibly some x-rays.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor