• question-icon

Can I use Biaxin for pain due to an abscessed tooth?

Posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, I think I may have an abscessed tooth right now and I'm out of state from my dentist, however I have biaxin with me which was prescribed to me for a stomach ulcer (I haven't used this medication because my GI doctor prescribed something different.) Anyway, I was just wondering if I could use the Biaxin(500mg) to help with the infection until I could get back home... Just trying to get the pain to go away.. Thank you so much for your advice...
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Augmentin is preferred choice. Detailed Answer: Hello There, I understand your concern. Baxin (clarithromycin) which is a macrolide antibiotic is not that effective against tooth abscess. Further you will need antiinflammatory drugs to take care of pain and inflammation. Augmentin (ampicillin/amoxycillin + clavunic acid) is preferred choice of antibiotic here. I wouldn't advice you to use baxin for tooth abscess. You can visit a local dentist or an urgent care clinic and discuss your concerns. Abscessed tooth might need a root canal treatment. You can get this done after you get back home. Wishing you a healthy recovery! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Qazi Ammara

Dentist