question-icon

Can I take antihistamines to reduce swelling on face if

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Question: Can I take antihistamines to reduce swelling on face if I have a stye?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
This will not help! See advise below using warm compresses, 15min, 4times/d

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this Query.

Antihistamines will not help with a stye. Good news is that most resolve spontaneously over several days. encourage you to apply warm compresses 4times daily lasting 15minutes each in order to facilitate drainage. Massage and gentle wiping of the affected eyelid after the warm compress can also aid in drainage. If you do use eye makeup, I advise you discontinue this to support healing. If symptoms fail to resolve within 2weeks, I will request for an ophthalmology consult for possible incision and drainage. Also, antibiotics do not seem to make a difference in the healing process.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Chobufo Ditah