Can I take Effexor with dothep for depression?

Psychiatrist
Question
can I take Effexor with dothep 25 & 75 together ? both antidepressants !!!!
please help me with the answer
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be take together if needed.

Detailed Answer:

Effexor is venlafaxine and Dothep is dosulepin and as you have mentioned both are anti-depressants. Generally it is preferable to use a single anti-depressant. Combination is usually preferred only if a single agent is not working at adequate dose or the dose can't be increased due to side effects.

In your case, the doses of both anti-depressants can be increased. The recommended dose range for dothep is 25-250 mg/day and for effexor is 75-225 mg/day.

Both drugs can be taken together if the need arises (as in conditions mentioned above). In that case, a close observation for side effects like gastro-intestinal side effects, etc. must be done. The dose increase also must be very gradual to reduce the chances of any side effects.

I do hope I was able to answer your query. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will be glad to help.

Best wishes.

Dr. Sunil Gupta