Can I take Diamox to prevent altitude sickness?

Excellent

Diabetologist
Question
I am 67yo female. Can I take Diamox to prevent altitude sickness? I have had anaphylaxis to Aspirin and am always fearful when taking a new drug.
I am healthy. I take Crestor for high cholesterol. Have had laser RX for elevated intraocular pressure - now stable. Also take Ranitidine for GERD.
Years ago I hiked down XXXXXXX Trail in Grand Canyon - approx 5,000-6,000 feet w/o problem. no other high altitude experience.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can take it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Yes mam you can take Diamox(Acetazolamide) to prevent and reduce the symptoms of altitude sickness. This medication can decrease headache, tiredness, nausea, dizziness, and shortness of breath that can occur when you climb quickly to high altitudes (generally above 10,000 feet/3,048 meters). It is particularly useful in situations when you cannot make a slow ascent. The best ways to prevent altitude sickness are climbing slowly, stopping for 24 hours during the climb to allow the body to adjust to the new height, and taking it easy the first 1 to 2 days.

To prevent altitude sickness, start taking acetazolamide 1 to 2 days before you start to climb. Continue taking it while you are climbing and for at least 48 hours after you have reached your final altitude. You may need to continue taking this medication while staying at the high altitude to control your symptoms. If you develop severe altitude sickness, it is important that you climb down as quickly as possible. Acetazolamide will not protect you from the serious effects of severe altitude sickness.

Your dose may need to be gradually decreased. Eat pottasium supplemented foods like bananas or orange etc., while on drug.

Hope this guides you, Thank you.
All the best.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.