Can I split the Ranitidine tablet for daily dosage in order to taper it off?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: currently i am taking zantac (ranitidine) for acid reflux. i am attempting to take a one quarter tablet of a 150 mg tablet. this is around 40mg i am currently taking. i was doing well on 75mg and am trying to see if 40mg is all i need. My question is, can i split a ranitidine zantac tablet into one quarter from a 150mg whole tablet and will it still work they way its supposed to but have a weaker effect. In the past i have been on 20mg ppi down to 10mg, then 75mg of ranitidine and now half of 75mg. will this method work? im trying to simply try to find a way to hopefully come off this type of meditation eventually. what is ur advice and if im doing this wrong what other way can intry to do this..thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:

Every salt is covered by a coating which gets dissolved only at the place where it is required for e.g. proton pump inhibitors are deactivated by acid therefore if you open them.

They get useless in the same way breaking a company coated tablet of Ranitidine is not advisable.

My advice is start with 150 mg once daily after a week taper off to 75 mg once daily after that make it 75 mg an alternate day and then stop it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D