Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Can I have sex with a stent in my bladder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 126 Questions
I had a kidney stone removed on Friday and now have a double J stent placed inside me until Wednesday, 8/10. I am unsure if I am able to have sex and/or masturbate while the stent is inside me. Am I putting myself or the stent in any danger by engaging in these activities?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 49 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Your question is simple and the answer is also simple- YES.

The stent is put to prevent the complication of torsion (twisting) of the ureter due to the dilatation caused by the obstructed stone and its removal procedure and then to drain any of the stone particles which was crushed or broken into finer particles.

Straining your body can cause severe pain at times which might require immediate medical attention. Masturbation or sex is a body straining act in excitement which might twist or even dislodge the stent from ureter to the bladder.

I would better advise to avoid any adventures which can lead to straining of your trunk for your own safety.

Few advocate masturbation is somewhat safer but there is no proof and it is always subjected to risk.

I hope your query is answered to your understanding. If you have any further queries or doubts feel free to ask. I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor