Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Can I have androgenetic hair fall due to vitamin-D deficiency?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
I would like to know how can i tell apart androgenetic hair fall and hair loss due to vitamin D deficiency from the apearance of one's sculp.
I appreciate it.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 5 hours later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Androgenetic hair fall: Here the person will have typical male pattern baldness(hair fall). The pattern will be similar to their father's pattern of baldness, since it is related to gene. The hairline gradually moves backward, more hair loss in temporal side so that there will be M shape.

In vitamin D deficiency there will be diffuse loss of hair. It does not follow any pattern. Need to check for vitamin D level, if deficient then with vitamin D supplement there will be stoppage of hair falling and also regrowth of hair.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor