Can I give polybion sf syrup to 3 month old...
Polybion sf is a multivitamin
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Polybion SF is a multivitamin. It contains Vitamin B complex which does not accumulate in body and does not cause side effects. It can be safely given to babies at recommended daily allowance (RDA) dose.
Constipation seems to be due to immature digestive tract. It usually clears by itself as the baby grows. To loosen the stools, we can start cleaner drinking water whenever we introduce solid foods to baby. It may happen anytime between 4-6 months.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
one-forth cup of water in a day
Water is recommended if baby weight is fine for his age. For now water can be upto one-forth cup of water in a day. It can be given after each feed or in between. When solid foods are started, the amount of water can be increased as per thirst.
If baby weight is low, then constipation is due to less breastmilk intake. In such a case, more of breast milk must be given.
His weight is very low for age
His constipation seems to be result of low milk intake by him. Usually breast fed babies have lower weights than bottle fed babies. But 4.8 kg is very low for his age. As per his birth weight, he should have been around 5.9 kg. He has gone below the third percentile and he is failing to survive. You can visit the graph by visiting the link:
We need to save him by making him gain weight. This can happen if we add calories to his feed. Since he is not taking enough milk, either develop the skills to breastfeed him more milk more often or start him on breast/cow's milk with bottle. I will prefer both breast and bottle feed. Babies are able to drink more milk with bottle. So you can either pump breast milk and feed him with bottle or give him cow's milk in bottle atleast once before sleeping at night.
I will also prefer starting solid foods sooner than 6 months. If he starts holding his neck, then start solid foods. High calorie foods like full cream added in his milk, butter etc can be added when he is a little older. You can consult a dietician about it, when he is around 8 months.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...