Can I get pregnant with treatment for PCOS ?

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

My fiance and I have been trying to conceive for the past 9 months with no luck. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and was told that getting pregnant might be easy or might require fertility treatments. I have a period every other month but my ovaries are covered in cysts. I have done extensive research on clomid and am interested in trying it. My question is: could my doctor refuse to treat me because I am only 21 and not married? I am very financially stable and engaged to the man of my dreams. I'm extremely responsible for my age and have cared for infants and children my entire life.

If you were my doctor, would you agree to treat me?

Thanks,
Katy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

I would have treated you for PCOD.

For that I would have suggested you to go for certain investigations like FSH , LH , fasting insulin levels testosterone , DHEA-S , estradiol etc.

Treatment in such cases like PCOD should begin as early as possible.

I would have given you Metformin as well as cyproterone acetate and ethinyl estradiol combination for three to six months till your cysts resolve.

So, I advise you to visit some other gynecologist to take suggestions and get treated.

Hope this answer helps you.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Manju M
Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN