Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Can I cut off a growth under my tongue?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
I have this growth under my tongue. I noticed that my tongue was pretty sore underneath for about a week, and I just finally looked under it now. Is this normal? Can I cut it off? Here's a photo:
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
The growth under your tongue seems to be more like a polyp or an outgrown tag on the underside of the tongue mucosa. It seems to be a harmless benign lesion.
You can get it removed from your dentist. Do not attempt to do so yourself as tongue is a highly vascular organ and it might bleed a lot. There might be a small ulcer present at the base of your oral cavity.
It is best to send this tissue for histopathological examination after the removal since the area is sore.
Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor