question-icon

Can I check my BP on same side as the pacemaker?

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2020
Question: can i take bp on same side as pacemaker?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you can check your bp on the same side of the pacemaker, unless and until there were no major complications during pacemaker implantation or arterial thrombosis, which are rare, and I guess it didn't happen in you. So you can check it. Initially, just compare bp in both arms, and the difference between 10-15 mmHg is normal between two arms.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode (2 hours later)
i forgot to metdion.

i had a stoke 4 years ago that affects my left side.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode (9 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Still you can take it

Detailed Answer:
Still you may be able to take bp on left side, but just as I mentioned, compare once with other side, as it may be fallacious due to stroke. If there is no significant difference then you can continue to take it. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist