Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Can I apply ice for my rib injury?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I suspect a rib injury due to a blow to the rib. The pain is a 4. I took 2 500mg tylenol extra strength tablets (which helped a lot). Please confirm that I should apply ice? Rest. And have pain med. Smoke as little as possible - correct? Anything to watch out for? Slight pain breathing.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can apply ice Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us; I have studied your case with diligence. Yes you can apply ice; also hot fomentation may help if you feel better with it. Yes stop smoking as coughing will be pain full and your lung capacity is low now. Watch out for breathless XXXXXXX dizziness, sweating. Avoid sudden movement, take rest, use rib supportive belt. Medication like muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain along with it use rib support belt. You may consult physiotherapist for pain management. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. You may need to take rest for early healing. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to give rating at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care Regards Dr Vaibhav
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor