Can Hydromorphone be taken when on antibiotics for suspected sepsis?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear Doctor, (1) If a patient is on antibiotics for suspected sepsis and probable pneumonia is it ever justified not to use hydromorphone for pain relief on the ground that the analgesia could affect a pt's symptoms in such a way as to mask the person's recovery or decline? (2) Would morphine be less likely to affect the symptoms in this way?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
both drugs affect same way

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The hydromorphone and morphine both are good pain killers but tend to suppress sputum raising which is so important in presence of pneumonia.
The two drugs can suppress the finding apart from suppressed of respiratory efforts.
It is highly advisable that she should receive painkillers of different class.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr Choudary. The pt is nil by mouth. Could you tell me what different types of IV analgesics could be used in place of hydromorphone or morphine for pain relief which would not affect the signs of recovery or decline quite as much? As well as pneumonia, pt does have COPD?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
these are the options

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.

The options are tramadol and paracetamol.

If kidney functions are okay then diclofenac can also be used.

She seems pretty sick, your local physician will know exactly suiting analgesic for her.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj