Can Humira shots cause rashes with blisters in foot and buttock?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Lupus
Question: i have rheumatoid arthritis and take humira by injection every two weeks. A couple of days ago I discovered two rash areas with blisters. One on my foot and one on my buttock. Is it a possible reaction to the humira??
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well it seems you have acquired an infection. Blisters do point it could be due to Bacterial infection( Staphylococcus).

I wont say it is a reaction to humira, but humira does suppress the immunity and secondary infections are common with these biological drugs.

I would suggest you send a pus culture from the blisters(if any) and start on antibiotics. Meanwhile you should Hold Humira till the infection gets controlled as it will only delay the healing process.If you could attach a picture of those blisters it would be helpful .

I hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

REgards
Dr naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 17 hours later
I sent a picture of the blisters on my foot. I thought I would continue use of the Mupirocin until Monday or Tuesday. If there is no improvement by then I will make an appointment with my Rheumatologist. Does that sound like a good plan to you??
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Foot blisters

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Well, I have seen the picture. It does look infective ..Well, I still feel you need a course of systemic antibiotics. But yes , we can wait for a couple of days to see the results.. MEanwhile dont take any more injections of humira till the infection subsides and you seek a rheumatologists.

If it doesnt improve, you can consult your GP for a course of Augmentin( Amox+ Clavulanic acid) for the blisters...

But yes, lets keep it this way...

Do let me know for more queries or any new developments

Dr Naval
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 43 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully it will clear up but if not i will seek assistance from my doctors as to a solution. Have a good day!
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blisters

Detailed Answer:
good evening

I hope the same too. feel free to contact me for any queries

have a good weekend

regards
Dr naval