question-icon

Can Hashimoto's disease cause constipation, depression, fatigue, joint stiffness and muscle weakness?

Posted on Fri, 5 Oct 2018
Question: been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease constipation, depression, fatigue, joint stiffness, muscle weakness, puffy eyes, sensitivity to cold, fast heart rate all the time, chest pain all the time,not easy to sleep, swelling in extremities, not heart attack sign. Been to cardiologist specaillist, ENT specalist ,and Emergency room twice.please advice
thank you
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

TSH levels need to be checked.

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you described are due to hypothyroidism but the symptoms need about 6-8 weeks to improve after the treatment.
You need to check TSH level after 6 weeks to be sure that the dose is the right one.

You need also to know that amlodipine can cause swelling of the legs.

If the swelling is after starting amlodipine you should inform your cardiologist to switch it to another tablet.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist