Can Haldol cause urinary retention in an elderly person using a urinary catheter?
Yes, it can cause retention, but if catheter in the bladder is properly placed, it wouldn't matter.
Urinary retention refers to urine in the bladder not able to pass.
Urinary retention is a rare side effect that can be seen in persons using this medication. It occurs in 1 to 10% of persons prescribed.
Because he has a catheter in place however, the fact that the medication causing retention should not matter because the catheter is in the bladder and the urine should be passing through it.
The fact that there is no urine either means that there was decreased urine production or the catheter has slipped out of place and though it is still in the urethra (the tube opening after the bladder), it is not in the bladder any longer.He may have pulled it slightly and not dislodged it completely.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chronic urinary retention causes
- Intermittent urinary retention causes
- Can coccydynia cause urinary retention
- Dystonia , urinary retention causes
- Does stillbirth cause urinary retention
- Acute urinary retention causes
- Does vivance cause urinary retention
- Causes of urinary retention
- Significant urinary retention causes
- Urinary retention in elderly women
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?