Can Haldol cause cancer?

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Do you know if the drug Haldol is carcinogenic? I have been taking it since 1978. A few months ago they found a precancerous tumour in my breast. It was removed and I just finished radiation treatments. Two years ago They found a tiny polyp in my bowel. It was precancerous.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Haldol is not precancerous.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back to HCM. Haldol has not been linked to, even remotely yo causing cancer, I would say that your finding do not have anything to do with Haldol. I hope this answers your question and good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 3 hours later
Hi. My white cell count has been lower ever since I've been on Haldol. It is usually 4.0 or 5.0 - I know this because I did lab work for a long time. Haldol lowers the WBC according to the CPS book. Can a lower WBC affect my immune system and make me more susceptible to cancer??
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the elaboration, yes leukopenia are possible side effects

Detailed Answer:
The terms leukopenia/neutropenia and agranulocytosis will be associated with Haldol use, this means that your white count and other cell lines may be lowered. This is essence, depending on how low can lead to easy infections. However, these will not lead to cancer. This blood disorder is due to the fact that it will cause bone marrow suppression and thus cause the production of blood products to slow down. I hope this further helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 2 days later
Is there anything I can do to boost my immunity -especially to cancer? I worked in Hematology and know about killer cells. Are the lymphocytes mostly responsible for immunity?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use Zinc, garlic, Vitamin C, folic acid however you level of 4-5 is normal

Detailed Answer:
Yes the lymphocytes are responsible for immunity, but not until you are at least below 1 (1000) do we see real issues with immunity problem and infection. Now if you are getting low white counts because of cancer, that is a discussion to be had with your oncologist.