Can HSV1 be transferred back from an infected person through genital intercourse?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Infections
Question: I have HSV1 orally and my girlfriend just contracted it from me genitally, from my performing oral sex on her. Cam I at risk for contacting it genitally from her, if we have genital sex? Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns

Unfortunately, you can get re-infected with genital herpes from your girlfriend through having vaginal or even anal intercourse.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 45 minutes later
Dr . What is the basis of this answer? Terri XXXXXXX In her book: THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE BAD NEWS opines that my immune system will have developed defenses against reinfection in other areas of my body than the original infection.
So, can you expound on your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
No absolute protection

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hello again..

Your body should have developed enough antibodies to prevent you from contracting a re-infection in 95% of the time.. But it is not safe to assume that you are 100% safe, especially when you are having an outbreak of oral sores; an indication of a compromised immune system at that time..

That is why I would recommend that you should avoid intercourse when either of you is having an outbreak..

I hope you find this helpful.. Let me know if I can assist you further.