Can HSV-1 or 2 be contracted through sharing phones?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: hypathetically, if someone with HSV1 or 2 were to use a phone and i used a phone afterwards can i contract it? I used a public phone if the area by the mouth piece touched my mouth. Can i contract it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no risk

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

The HSV type 1 virus usually infects the oro-labial mucosa. It is commonly transmitted by close/direct contact e.g kissing. Since the virus does not survive outside the body for long i.e not more than a few seconds so the transmission usually does not happen through fomites like sharing a glass, water bottle, spoon, towel, handpiece of phone etc.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist