Can HPV be contracted through protected oral sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am wondering the risks of acquiring HPV. I had a condon protected oral sex performed on me 20 months ago and condom protected performed on me 4 months ago. I am worried about passing HPV to my wife. Help please
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPV transmission through protected oral sex is unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

When you don't have any external manifestation of HPV warts on your genitals, then you need not worry about the same to be transmitted to your wife. The incubation period for HPV is around 2-4 months. As your wife have no such symptoms in her throat so far, it ensures that she is free from any HPV infection as your last oral contact was 4 months back. HPV infection over throat is uncommon with adults. New born children can acquire rarely when pass through the genitals during parturition, if the mother had lesion over her genitals. In adults I am yet to see a wart over throat transmitted through oral sex contact during my 30 years of experience of STD practice. Sub-clinical infection over throat also is unheard. Moreover you had protected oral sex then there is unlikely possibility of HPV transmission.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 9 minutes later
My apologizes Doctor. The oral event and the handjob were performed on me by a stripper not my wife. Thus my concern to have spread this to my wife. Mao my question is what are my risks of contracting hpv from these 2 events, condom protected oral sex performed on me 20 months ago and condom protected handling 4 months ago. Both performed on me by a stripper. What are my risks of contracting hpv and passing it onto my wife. Thank you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Condoms offer a high degree of protection for HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
The risk of STD and AIDS with hand job is almost nil as well with HPV infection. As you had no genital wart so far, the chances of getting it to your wife is also remote. Condoms definitely have a high degree of protection also for HPV infection. Nothing to worry.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Thank you. Would this also apply for the condom protected oral sex performed on me by stripper. Any risk of hpv infection of this and can I pass to my wife.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your wife has no risk of HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back
Condom protected oral sex is absolutely safe. HPV transmission is unlikely. So your wife also has no risk for HPV infection.
Forget about that incident.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Can you quantify the risk of hpv from these 2 events. 10%, higher, lower? And if my wife had a positive Pap smear would this have been the result of these 2 events. Pap smear test was done a week ago.
With kind regards

Sorry doctor another follow up. You mention earlier in one of your responses:
"When you don't have any external manifestation of HPV warts on your genitals, then you need not worry about the same to be transmitted to your wife. The incubation period for HPV is around 2-4 months".

As I have no genital warts would that then mean that I have not contracted HPV at all or just the strain that can cause warts?
Is it still possible for me to have passed on another strain of HPV from these 2 events that I described: condom protected oral sex performed on me and condom protected handjob performed on me. Again I worry about transmission of HPV to my wife from my extramarital events. I have resolved to not do this behavior again and have recommitted to my relationship

With Kind regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPV Risk is less than 1%

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

The risk for HPV for you both is less than 1% through this particular exposure, that is with the protected oral sex and hand job from a dancer.
PAP smear would likely to come negative if you didn't have any extramarital contact other than this. You would unlikely to contract any type of HPV strains through this protected oral contact and hand job. Your wife also would be safe absolutely if both of you did not have any other relationship.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Would it be safe to say that if her pap came back positive that this would not be the result of the 2 events described?

With kind regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Without external warts HPV infection is unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If your wife's PAP smear positive, it would unlikely be due to the protected oral sex and hand job that you had before 20 months and 4 months ago.
If you don't have warts seen outside, it is unlikely that you have HPV infection. Nothing to worry about that.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 4 minutes later
Thank you. Just so that I understand with no warts, then I do not have hpv and therefore cannot pass onto my wife?
Without warts is the risk still less than 1% or is it zero?

With kind regards
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your wife is unlikely to have HPV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back
Without any external warts for you, your wife is unlikely to have HPV infection. Forget about the same. Medicine is not mathematics to have constant answers. So less than 1% or zero % are all unpredictable.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 minutes later
Ok thank you. How worried should I be. I fear for my relationship?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome and not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again
You would be safe from HPV infection and not to worry
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 minute later
Thank you Doctor. With kind regards.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HPV risk is almost nil

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
I assure that HPV risk is almost nil with the protected oral sex 20 months back and hand job 4 months back. Nothing to worry