Can HPV and lozenges increase one's chances of oral cancer?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I want to ask you about the fact that I have HPV and I read that increases my risk for oral cancer. And, I also have a small painful bump on the side of my tongue in the back near to my throat. I quit smoking last march using nicotine lozenges, but I have been using the lozenges since then. when I was informed that these lozenges increase the risk of mouth cancer, I quit them but that was only a week ago. Should I be worried and see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 7 hours later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
It's advisable to visit a doctor in person

I can certainly understand your concern

Yes indeed HPV is associated with a minor risk of head and neck cancers in few individuals.

Lozenges are generally not associated with oral cancers as such.

It's advisable to visit a doctor in person and get the oral bump clearly examined and if necessary take further tests to rule out Malignancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D