Can HIV virus cause death?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi , I've gone today to have blood tests taken to look for HIV . But I'm scared of the results. I have been feeling ill for many months now. If I'm HIV + will I die ?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV virus would not cause death

Detailed Answer:

HIV virus would not cause death.
If a person has poor lifestyle, undernourishment and improper hygiene it would cause complications.
You should not be scared of the result, let the results arrive. Results should not panic you now. What type of tests were ordered?
There is a treatment for HIV virus.

Let me know the result.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your reply.
I've been so worried about hiv for over 12 months now due to a few reckless encounters (unprotected sex) when I was on an oversees trip.

I had a HIV serology done as well as tests to check for syphillis hepatitis and a few STd's.

The GP I saw in person didn't recommend these , I asked to have them done.

None of the GP's i had seen over the last year had ever suggested to have HIV testing.

I'm so worried because I've had a saw throat for so many months now. I feel my tonsils are infected or something is growing on them and making my throat scratchy and difficulty swallowing. I've had heartburn regularly which could relate to stomach ulcers and from my reading can be caused by helicopacter pylori bacteria which would start to overcome the body if there was HIV. I also seem to have fungus or hard cracked heals which is another reasons that
Makes me think bacteria and fungus are on the increase in my body due to HIV.

I get heart palpitations often as well which also can track back to my heart valves or Aorta being compromised by bacteria - again relating to hiv

Some morning when I wake up I also have the shakes like my neurological system is being compromised. These are the main problems with me that makes me scared and think it's hiv after doing my research.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risky lifestyle

Detailed Answer:

At the out set I would like to counsel you that as long as you adopt risky lifestyle like the one last year you would be tensed, anxious, stressed and sooner depressed. CHANGE IT.

All sorethroats are not because of HIV. There are simple other virus and bacteria which cause it. Similarly tonsils would have different reason for swelling. Heart burn could be anxiety, stress coupled.
Your research may not be correct all the time, it is time to test and come terms with reality.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 48 hours later
Ok, thanks for your response.

My final question then is, what is normal practice for a doctor to respond with testing results & how long does it normally take for blood samples to be tested and returned to the doctor.

I'm waiting for a call for the results and its driving me crazy while I wait. I keep wondering if the longer it takes for the doctor to call me the more likely nothing is serious??
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Call the doctor's office

Detailed Answer:

I suggest you to call the doctor's office instead of being anxious.
If the results are not serious the doctor's office would not call back. If there is a need to intervene with the results they call the patient and inform about scheduling next appointment.

Call them to confirm.